For four generations, the Saurage family of Louisiana has owned and operated Community Coffee Company. In 1919, Henry Norman "Cap" Saurage discovered the secret of making this great-tasting coffee in his country store on the north edge of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He named his coffee "Community" in honor of his community of friends. In 1924, he closed the store and converted his backyard barn into a coffee mill, using coffee beans purchased from a local roaster. In 1941, Cap's son H. Norman Saurage Jr. purchased the company's first coffee roaster, having decided that Community should roast its own coffee to ensure quality at every step. A roasting plant was built in Baton Rouge in 1946.
Over the years, Community Coffee Company would take countless steps to ensure the quality of its product. In 1955, the company began importing green coffee beans directly from coffee plantations in Brazil. In 1970, a new plant was built on the Mississippi River in Port Allen, Louisiana. In 1980, Community introduced the nation's first vacuum-sealed coffee package.
The first CC's Community Coffee House opened on the corner of Jefferson and Magazine Street in New Orleans in 1995. Dozens more opened during the 10 years that followed.
It's been more than 90 years since Cap Saurage founded Community Coffee Company, but our mission has never changed – to share our passion for great coffee with our customers.
© 2013 Community Coffee Company | Business Opportunities |
| Contact Us
Customer Service | Cash For Schools | Job Center |
Download Holiday Catalog
Download Product Catalog
Sign Up for our Email Perks
Read our Blog